Re: graphic tablet <was drawing tools>

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Fri, 22 Oct 1999 10:58:17 -0400
 To:  "Windsong" <chester(at)worldchat.com>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>Question: Can the stylus be "replaced" or upgraded to
>something that is easier to work with? I have heard this previously that the
>stylus is difficult to work with.

The stylus is easy to work with -- easier than the mouse -- at least
that's my experience. I suspect that the differences depend on your
typing style and the kind of work you're doing. For instance, if one
is working in PS, it's easiest to keep the stylus in hand at all
times, even while hitting the keyboard keys. I have two positions for
holding the stylus: one for using it, where it's held like a pen, and
the other for typing.

If you're doing a lot of word processing, and want complete
keyboarding capability, you probably would not want to be holding the
stylus. In that case, for occasional clicks, you may prefer using the
mouse. which can be easier to grab quickly.

There isn't any replacement for the stylus, but there is a special
mouse that can be purchased, probably most useful for CAD work.

>Having never seen one in a store(it seems in Canada you have to
>order the product ...(blind so to speak, no stores carry them in stock) and
>basically take your chances.

Interesting, since Wacom is located in Vancouver. Maybe if you call
Wacom they can give you the name of the nearest place that carries
the product. Tell them it looks bad for a Canada-based company if you
have to cross the border to demo the product.

>Also I am curious to know what exactly any list members who have the tablets
>use them for, ie: where do they come in the handiest and do they justify the
>cost?( touchups or actual creating/drawing etc?)

They're great for working with paint/graphics program, especially
those that support its advanced features like pressure sensitivity.

>I was thinking about buying graphire or pen partner but am afraid i would
>outgrow it too quickly...and maybe should look at a 4x5 or larger and grow

As I stated previously, I wouldn't recommend a tablet smaller than
the 6x8 for graphics work. But it's a matter of personal preference.

--Jeff